Featured Post

Blogging again...

It seems only a little while ago that this Blog was a going concern.  It was updated as often as possible and usually, the content was timel...

Monday, March 21, 2011

Drina in the Beagle Channel

Wooden Anchor at Quinched yacht club/marina  up channe
-----------------------------------
Well it seems that Drina never stops anywhere for very long and now they are underway again.  Having done many miles with Michael I know that he hate's being weathered in and was/is always looking for a reason to leave wherever we were/are, even when it had taken us a long time to get there in the first place.  A day or so in port is all he really likes, unless, that is, there is another reason to stay.  For instance if some old cruising mate is due in port Michael will patiently wait weeks for them to arrive so he can have a chat...
-----------------------------------
"Dear Paul,
Sorry been out of contact for a few days, have the flue or a cold I think I caught from Sam the Irish Yachtsman.. I am feeling a bit better today.
There's four off us now, Maggie the new crew just finished college as they call Uni up there, so little younger then Alex.
She is a real nice person, I like her a lot.  She is very Irish. reddish hair etc. Alex knew her from her time in Hawaii. 
We where in Puerto Williams on Saturday when Pelagic arrived early morning, My crew said they saw them come ashore and we heard the plane take off (we're vclose to the aerodrome) so assumed Gouldie had left.  We decided to go up channel to Pia Glacier so Maggie could see one etc, so got permission to leave and was underway when Gouldie showed up. Typical Gouldie, no word, mails or calls since they left... Then there he is large as life on the rapidly receding dock.  So as we had cleared out with the Armada looking on all we could was wave....
We plan to be back in Port Willliams in two days time and if I am better which expect to be, and we have a window we are taking off for the Faulklands via the Horn.
Glad to hear St P day went well.  My ears were burning that day.
After Faulkland Islands I plan to vist River Plate etc. with Buenos Aires as highlight, plenty off walks there?
Then to Brazil.  Plan to be in Caribbean around Xmas and NY area next summer.
Yes I am really thinking seriously off Ireland.  I am getting used to the cold.  Yes will let you know in due course so you can show me where to go.  But it is a good two years away at this rate.

We are back at Ferrari today and the kids are horse riding tomorrow.

Kerro the days are getting shorter and colder, and the leaves are turning to gold, so it's really time to move on.  It has been great to see it all.  Find the Authorities in Chile and Argentina hard to follow.  Would I return here?  I am undecided on that at present.  I would like to have climbed more but found the undergrowth hard to penetrate. 
 
I am Glacier-ed out though.  When I checked all the charter and visting yachts in Ushuaia the other day, they were all metal except two.  Mostly Alloy with a few steel.

Looking forward to getting Gouldies impression of it all in due course.  Was good to hear result for the Audi race.

I note that Jeanne reached the Faulklands, and is now in Port Stanley.  I must eamil her soon. she is a interesting person but could talk the leg off a chair.   Sam my Irish friend says the Nereida is not seaworthy and unsuitable for the task of single handing a circumnavigation.  He has a old Rival around 40 or so feet..  But I did enjoy her company and her tales of her adventures.  She is amazing considering she came to sailing so late in life.
rgs Michael"

Shot of a Rival 41 similar to Sam's courtesy of eye-boats.com


Strewth: Jan 2010
Bathurst Harbour

To check Drina's latest position, click the link below. 
http://shiptrak.org/?callsign=vj5319&filter=90


To check Nereida's latest position, click the link below.
http://www.winlink.org/dotnet/maps/PositionReportsDetail.aspx?callsign=KC2IOV&filter=120
PK's Blogs:

Rival_41c_side_on

No comments:

Post a Comment